Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Votre Attention S'il Vous Plait?

IMG_3246

Well, um, OK... I guess that *does* get my attention. And I think it probably would have succeeded in doing so even without the word 'attention'. Funny how guns can do that. Actually, it's only funny in a very dark, depressing way.

I do appreciate the randomness of this creative bit of graffiti, though. I saw it spraypainted on a concrete pillar in a Bangkok elevated railway station. What really odd is that while there are gun shops all over Bangkok, including dozens in the Chinatown section of the city, gun-related crimes are relatively rare in Thailand. Certainly not anywhere near those of pretty much any American city.

It's anyone's guess as to what statement the artist was trying to make. But I doubt it would have been as noticeable if they'd chosen to use another image, like a cartoon skunk or a creepy looking lizard.

No comments:

Post a Comment