Saturday, March 1, 2008

Ruminations On The Modern World

oldman

"It's been one hell of a long day. So long, in fact, that I can't remember what I had for breakfast. Actually, it's been a pretty long life, too. I'm old enough to remember when the Earth had a second moon, a time in which there were only a few Starbucks coffee shops sprinkled across the landscape, as opposed to being on every single damn street corner as they are today. Why on Earth they've proliferated like that I'll never understand. Who needs to be that awake all the time?"

"Like many older folks, the modern world often freaks me out and leaves me speechless. It's the excesses that I see on a daily basis that really confuse me. I read the papers, and I fancy myself to be pretty aware of current events. But then I see some souped-up hot rod car go zooming by, with crazy techno music that I feel in my bones more than I actually 'hear', and I wonder where peoples' priorities are these days."

"Me, I was never much for the loud music and the all night drinkathons. OK, maybe for a couple of years when I was in college, but that was a long time ago. Now I prefer to analyze things; to watch life's every movement, paying attention to the dynamics and interrelationships that underpin all things."

"And, I often find that applying that level of focus to today's world makes me wants to shrug my shoulders, throw my hands up in the air, and get a drink."

No comments:

Post a Comment